CLIENT ADVOCATE VOLUNTEER
- You provide peer counseling for clients in an atmosphere of warmth and compassion using active listening and other helpful skills.
- You provide accurate information on abortion, parenting, adoption, and foster care.
- You offer support, materials resources, and referrals appropriate to a client’s situation.
- You maintain client records and follow up according to guidelines of the center.
- Complete Care Net training (about 6 months in duration) and be approved to counsel.
- Commit to serve at least one day per week (during business hours).
- Make arrangements with another team member to cover your shift, if you can’t make it.
- Get a good rating on a background check (criminal history and background check).
- You’re trustworthy and people often open up to you quickly.
- You can listen to people who are hurt, confused and angry without judging them.
- You’re compassionate.
- You are organized, keep good notes, and have a ‘can do’ attitude that gets things done.
- This opportunity is for our Newport News center.